Friday, March 6, 2009

The Edible Schoolyard and A Night in the Global Village

The Edible Schoolyard was so interesting to me and I think this program is just amazing for students to be able to experience. For one thing, some students learn better when they can put their hands on things rather than having a boring worksheet to do and some would rather have the worksheet. I think this is great because the children get to do the things on their own. Also, the cooking part was very interesting because the only reason I know how to cook is from my mom and some kids are not that lucky, so I think that was just awesome for them kids to be able to cook things by themselves. I think I could use this is my classroom to teach children that they do have to learn how to do these things on their own because one day they will be on their own without someone there to tell them what is right and wrong. I think this would be a great lesson for children to learn at an early age.
A Night in the Global Village was also amazing to me because it is such a great lesson for children to learn about because these things really occur and some children have no clue of it. I think this would be a great thing to incorporate into my classroom because it teaches children about how some people have to live. I also thought this was awesome because these students actually got to experience in real life how those people really live, work, and do certain things. They also had to sleep in the conditions those people had to sleep in. They had to learn how to make a fire with the material they had and they found it very difficult because they said they have never even had to do things like that before. At the end the students performed skits of what they experienced and I think this was a great way for the students to think about and reflect on what they experienced and realize how those people live.
Both of these podcasts were just amazing and I think these topics would be great to have when I have my own classroom because it is concepts that students should know about and learn about as well as learn how to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment